1) Research & hire a mover 6 week before the big day
2) Color code your boxes for easy organization.
3) Pack plates vertically. They are less likely to break.
4) Pack an Essentials box and label so you can easily spot it on moving day.
5) Take photos of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
6) Fill out a “change of address” form at your local post office 2-3 weeks prior
7) Notify utility services two weeks prior to your move. Schedule them to turn off at your old home the day after your move and turn on at he the new home a couple of days prior to moving in.
8) Call a locksmith and arrange to have your new home locks changed on moving day
9) Schedule a cleaning company to clean the new home and steam clean carpets a day or two before your move date
10) Have records transferred to new schools
11) Change address with creditors and financial institutions
12) Research cable, internet and phone providers in new area and setup appointments for service installation.
13) Preorder new checks with your change of address.
14) Fill and transfer prescriptions a week before
15) Unplug and defrost your refrigerator 1-2 days before packing it in the truck
16) Empty gas and oil out of your lawn mower and weed eater